EU4Shepherds seeks to improve and update the training offer for extensive shepherds with:
- A common evaluation of the situation of extensive/wandering shepherds in Europe based on a in depth previous need analysis at EU level.
- Strengthening shepherd’s employability by adding updated technical knowledge, new managerial competences and ICT skills to the traditional knowledge and experience.
- Development of adapted training methodologies and ICT tools to facilitate the access to proper training.
- Increased number of professional shepherds as key allies to improve socially and environmentally the marginal rural areas, converting them into a sustainability model due to their positive contributions on: climate change (forest fires minimization), social (employment creation and promoting women's access on equal terms), and cultural (social recognition and dignification of shepherds profession from both, the farmer and shepherd viewpoint).
- Promoting and reinforcing pastoralism and rural development.
- Involving key actors for the promotion and implementation of project results in other areas.
The improvement of the training contents and methods will be implemented through the elaboration and dissemination of the following innovative outputs (IO):
- IO1: A new curricula (and training material) for a complete and updated course for shepherds based on a common framework among experienced EU entities, including both technical and transversal topics to ensure a sustainable economical, social and environmental maintenance of extensive livestock exploitations.
- IO2: A manual for the flexible implementation of the course taking into consideration a work-based learning approach and trainers and trainees needs (methodology for trainers).
- IO3: The elaboration of a training platform adapted to the validated methodology to promote a flexible training and the contact among shepherds and livestock exploitations managers and owners.
Although this result will not be implemented within this project, EU4Shepherds will set the basis for the future certification of a professional Shepherd based on its results.